As part of our preparation for GDPR compliance, Shopworks (SW3) will be dropping support for older unsupported browsers, on Monday 9th April.
What does this mean to me?
- If you continue to use IE7 and IE8 browsers after this date, Shopworks will no longer work in IE7 and IE8 browsers. Users of these browsers will be redirected to a page informing them that they need to upgrade or switch their browser.
- Windows XP users cannot upgrade their Internet Explorer browser past IE8. If you are stuck on Windows XP, you will need to install other browsers such as Chrome or Firefox, which are still available on XP.
Why are we ending support for IE7 and IE8?
As we evaluate which browsers to support, we consider which ones will give our users the best and most secure experience and enable us to focus on areas that will add the most value for customers. There are three key reasons that drove this decision:
- IE7 and IE8 are less secure.Trust and security are incredibly important to us at ShopWorks. There have been multiple security vulnerabilities discovered in these older browsers over the years, so we are upholding our commitment to trust by ending support for these less secure browsers.
- IE7 and IE8 are not HTML5 compatible. IE7 was first released in 2006, and IE8 was released in 2009. These browsers do not support the rich internet apps our customers have come to expect, including HTML5. HTML5 supports mobile devices; doesn’t rely on plug-ins; and provides a faster customer experience.
- Our customers are moving to newer browsers.Less than 0.1% of our customers are using IE7 and less than 0.5% are using IE8. Our customers are trending towards newer browsers, and we want to develop features that best serve our customers.
How can I get more information?
- ShopWorks Support is always available to answer any questions you may have about this change.
- If you have further questions, please speak to your ShopWorks Account Manager